cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take the "Taste From the Past" Challenge! 🍽‌

Michal_Gebacki
Community Team
Community Team

The Taster BadgeThe Taster BadgeWelcome to the new Community Challenge. We're thrilled to invite you once again to a nostalgic trip! Food is one of the most crucial fundamentals of our memories -- just one name of a dish or picture can awaken our senses!

Let's share our favorite tastes from the past, naming nostalgic dishes, snacks, or other types of food from your old days. Don't hesitate to feature not only names but pictures as well! For every participant, we've prepared a dedicated Taster Badge, just like a bonus 100 points! Let's recollect some tastes we used to adore... Or maybe totally the opposite 😉

Let me start once again with the summer speciality from my Grandma, the strawberry soup with croutons 🍓🍞

Strawberry Soup with CroutonsStrawberry Soup with Croutons

53 REPLIES 53

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Growing up in Sweden with roots in the northern parts of the country I always loved the flat bread from that part of the country.

My favorite was a filling with vegetables, sausage, potato and mix of cottage cheese, apple and more. Whenever I go back to Sweden to spend time with the family I always make sure that it is on the menu!

Gourmetrulle.jpg

Recipe (In Swedish, but google translate should help): https://ugnstrull.se/recept/gourmetrulle-med-steppsallad/

Mike

gbaudart
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

I wouldn't be able to remember the exact content but this dish from a 3* restaurant was really excellent :

gbaudart_0-1699477590577.jpeg

Observability Consultant - Dynatrace Associate Certified

michael_frank
Dynatrace Advocate
Dynatrace Advocate

For me it's Sterz, especially "Heidensterz" (buckwheat) with beans, lightly fried in lots of lard served with sour mushroom soup. Sterz would be in a large p0t in the middle, you'd take a spoon full, dunk it into the soup and eat it. Delicious.

Recipe here: https://burgenland.orf.at/v2/radio/stories/2891920/

Ana_Kuzmenchuk
Community Team
Community Team

Being a Ukrainian, there's only one type of food I am legally allowed to talk about /jk

Borshch 😊

Borshch-2.jpg

If I feel particularly homesick, this is the only thing to bring me up 😊 But there's no borshch like the one my mom makes, so every time I come home I ask her to cook it. 

Another thing that always makes me nostalgic is poppy seed rolls 😍

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 15.58.28.png

It was always on the table in my grandma's house when I came over 😋

The only constant is change. Finding ways for great things to happen!

natanael_mendes
Champion

In portuguese bife com batata frita or steak with fries, my favorite food of all time. Like a real brazilian, this plate are in almost every table  in the houses from Brasil in the sundays

3f8fe01c847e17f9b7e9c9577040e20e.jpg

Recipe here: https://www.tudogostoso.com.br/receita/95741-bife-acebolado-com-batata-frita.html

Dynatrace Professional Certified

Mo_Azuz
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

This is a risky post! 🤤...now I can't stop thinking about all of these dishes 😂

For me, it is the Mediterranean cuisine and specifically the Libyan couscous which can be served with vegetables, meat, chicken or fish!  The picture showing below is Libyan couscous with meat, chickpeas and onion topping. Served with salad on the side called "sharmola" which is made with tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, jalapeno and a little bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt.

Mo_Azuz_0-1695047353133.jpeg

Malaik
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi All,

It's a specially different, but I will put here some pictures of what my wife prepare everymorning for kids in the LunchBox.

Everything is home made (even the CupCakes).

It's a little difficult to eat healthy everyday but we try 🤣

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-18 at 17.36.07.jpg

Sharing Knowledge

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

WOW what a challenge , as @Mo_Azuz  wrote me also can not stop drool after looking ay your photos 🤤 

For me any thing that include dough is like a red rag 🤗

But on top of that every thing need to be hot .... very hot !!!

Lately we have found at a neighbor garden an Habanero bush 

Yosi_Neuman_0-1695049323966.png

And now we are practicing at home few dishes 

Yosi_Neuman_1-1695049937059.gif

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

abraham_ormsby
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

These revolting, delicious, revolting concoctions were only available for 1 year but they left a lasting impression and we all miss them!

tmnt pies.jpg

Senior Client Services Analyst

It  looks like really different, i really would like to taste it.

Dynatrace Certified

They had a flavor profile similar to Boston cream pie or Bavarian cream donut.

Senior Client Services Analyst

Taylor-Sanchez
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Growing up in Hawaii, I've always had different types of Asian cuisine that you normally can't find anywhere else (nor can it be replicated anywhere else for that matter). 

One of my favorite dishes growing up (and still is, to this day but I can't find anywhere since I've moved) is Ube Pancakes! 

TaylorSanchez_0-1695053824518.png

It might look a little too sweet, but the flavor is incredibly balanced, considering the main ingredient is purple yam! So I guess that covers the guilt of it being an 'unhealthy' breakfast option, but it's definitely one for the books if you're ever heading to Hawaii!

Dynatrace ACE Services Consultant

AntonPineiro
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi,

Sure is not best food or healthy food, but talking about nostalgic, 90s...

AntonPineiro_0-1695056163346.png

❤️ Emacs ❤️ Vim ❤️ Bash ❤️ Perl

Sugar watches! :star_struck: 

Keep calm and build Community!

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

"Taste from the past"? Seems like I have to go with our ancestors, and the "pastel de nata":

Antonio Sousa

RazTN7
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Grandmother used to prepare yummy "Idli, vada with sambar and chutney"

idli.png

Have a nice day!

Had this a couple of weeks ago, with mint sauce, they were awesome.

Iplinsky
Advisor

One of nostalgic recipes that really makes me to remember my childhood in my entire life, and that i reaaly like its called "Feijoada", basically made of cooked black beans and Assorted Meats. Usually it's served with white rice, sautéed collard greens, and sliced oranges on the side.

Feijoada is a hearty and flavorful dish that brings a taste of Brazil to the plate.

Iplinsky_0-1695063003860.png

Dynatrace Certified

AurelienGravier
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

My favorite taste from the past, without hesitation, the "breton galette" from my grandma !

A Breton galette is a traditional flat cake or pancake from the Brittany region of France. It is made primarily from buckwheat flour and is often served with savory fillings such as eggs, cheese, ham, and vegetables.
I ate it every wednesday after the school.

AurelienGravier_0-1695101718565.png

Observability consultant - Dynatrace Associate/Pro/Services certified

I love it:) i'm already hungry 🙂 

Have a nice day!

MarkKaplan
Dynatrace Enthusiast
Dynatrace Enthusiast

When I was growing up, my grandmother (Nana) was an amazing baker. My wife decided to give those recipes a shot and WOW! She could not have matched the taste any better. The cookies with the jam in the middle she called Scandinavian cookies. The loaf is called Mandelbrot. There are many versions of this but she made it with jam, nuts and raisins. 

10712533_10204518614159616_8996046324939924059_o.jpg

614775_10201480586210816_2083176077_o.jpg

radek_jasinski
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Strawberry soup is great. Every summer my mother used to cook this soup for me, but with noodles and mint leaves🍓

Have a nice day!

radek_jasinski
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I'm the biggest fan of homemade craft pizzas. I could cook and eat them every day, but only if I know that my dish is healthy. I make pizza on spelt dough with lots of vegetables and natural sauces. That's why I don't order pizzas to go. My wife jokes that I put my pizza dough in all the free food containers in our home. One time, I prepared 15 kg of pizza dough and invited all my neighbors for a month of dinners. They still can't look at the pizza 🍕

E246E383-8069-40B6-9FFE-55F0FCA861D5.jpeg

Have a nice day!

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

It wasn't too long ago that I had this, and actually I wouldn't mind some right about now 😅, but its a very old recipe....

Haluski - Slovakia 

ChadTurner_0-1695123717299.png

With a cold glass of Kofola!

ChadTurner_1-1695123803288.png

All in a traditional Slovak setting, such a great experience! 

ChadTurner_3-1695124189130.png

Resturaunt: https://www.syrex.s | https://www.syrex.sk/koliba 

If you find yourself in that part of Slovakia, you might as well also visit Juraj Janosik: 

ChadTurner_4-1695124480450.jpeg  

ChadTurner_7-1695124848725.png

-Chad

DanielS
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Well, for me definitively would be the Mate.  I remember drinking it with my grandma seeing her garden and talking a lot.

It is a very popular infusion in South America especially Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay.

DanielS_0-1695131341445.jpeg

Famous People Drinking Mate

DanielS_1-1695131388402.jpeg

Obama

DanielS_2-1695131430175.jpeg

Hetfield (Metallica)

DanielS_3-1695131474711.jpeg

Zoe Zaldana

DanielS_4-1695131503154.jpeg

Lionel Messi

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

You're missing another famous drinking mate (chimarrão)

Captura de tela 2023-09-20 165455.png
Danne Aguiar 😅

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

KarolWisniewski
Community Team
Community Team

For me the taste I will never forget is the one of chanterelles fried in butter. I used to collect them very early in the morning after every night fishing trip with my uncle. The last time we went on one together was probably about 10 years ago, but it really feels like it was yesterday whenever I have a chance to eat them...

kurki.jpg

soysergei
Dynatrace Promoter
Dynatrace Promoter

Something I'll never forget is the "Meet and spinach cannelloni" from my grandma also as Argentinean the "Family Asados" 

soysergei_3-1695201951799.jpeg

jarinmusarrat
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

For me there's two word 
1. Biriyani

jarinmusarrat_0-1695225292546.png

"Biryani is a mixed rice dish of South Asia. It is made with spices, vegetables, rice, and usually some type of meat (chicken, goat, lamb, beef). In some cases without any meat, and sometimes with eggs and potatoes." In terms of dishes this is my most favorite as every bite is a mouthful of flavor.  

2. Fuchka (aka panipuri)

jarinmusarrat_1-1695225340547.png

These are both highly known south Asian cuisine. 
"Panipuri is deep-fried breaded sphere filled with potato, onion, or chickpea. It is a common street food in the Indian subcontinent. It is often spiced with tamarind chutney, chili powder, or chaat masala. A variant, fuchka, uses spiced mashed potatoes as the filling." My childhood evening snack is based on this, since this is street food my family would not always appreciate me eating those but I would secretly meet up with friends after school just to have these.

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

My mother used to make this dessert when I was a child. Here in Brazil we call it "Sorvete americano" (American Ice cream). It is basically make with milk (condensed, cream), eggs and chocolate.

Captura de tela 2023-09-20 171217.png

When I grew up and moved away from my parents home, I learned how to make it and at least once per month it is part of my children joy after lunch.

How much do we have to bribe you so you'll bring some for us, too?

You will be surprised as how easy is to make it!!

First layer: 1 can of condensed milk, use the same can with fresh milk, and 3 eggs yolk.

Mix all together in the fire until it get creaming consistence.

Second layer: 1 can of milk cream, 1 cam of condensed milk, 6 spoons of cocoa powder (or sugar chocolate).

Mix all together in the fire until it get creaming consistence.

Wait for the first layer to get cold before drop this one over it. You can use some biscuits as an additional layer, so they don't get mixed.

Third layer: mix all the remain 3 eggs white until it gets the whipped cream consistence, then add 3 spoons of suggar, mix a bit, then add 1 can of milk cream and mix, until you get a creaming consistence.

Add it over the chocolate layer.

Let it rest at the freezer and enjoy!!!

Doug_P
Dynatrace Promoter
Dynatrace Promoter

Growing up on the East Coast of Canada, in Nova Scotia, seafood played a major role in what we ate. There are two things I stuff myself with whenever I get back for a visit. Fried clams, and my mother's seafood chowder.

The seafood chowder has several types of fish like salmon, flounder etc., shrimp, lobster, clams, mussels, scallops potatoes, onion, milk, butter and other herbs and it is delicious.

Doug_P_1-1695286573410.jpeg

The clams are taken from the shell and dunked in a thick batter, then deep fried. I like them with ketchup:

Doug_P_2-1695286663334.jpeg

Patrick_H
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

For me it's "Hollerröster" (did not find an english translation) which always takes my back too my childhood. It is mainly cooked from elderberry, some vanilla pudding, spices (cloves, cinnamon) and sometimes also some plums or apples. It still is one of my favorite foods, but hard to get somewhere if you don't cook it on your own. Tastes great on its own or also makes a delicious side for "Kaiserschmarrn".
Picture is not from me, just for illustration purpose.

hollerroester.jpg

iOS help: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/ios-hub

Shirai
Helper

The nostalgic dish for me is "Naporitan". This is a pasta dish seasoned with tomato ketchup that has been eaten in Japan since the 1950s. It is still served at many restaurants, most convenience stores, and is still made at home.
It's strange, but even though it's called Naporitan, I think it's a dish unique to Japan.pc_detail_main_COP09_AC_433.jpg

T.Shirai IIM Corp. Osaka Japan

islam_zidan
Champion

For me as an Egyptian, it will always be "Koshary" 😊

islam_zidan_3-1695727134336.jpeg

Dynatrace Certified Professional - Dynatrace Partner - Yourcompass.ca

gerald_
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hello,

as a kid I was in love with (and still I'm in love with) so-called Kiachln or Bauernkrapfn. It's kind of a donut made of yeast dough.
The basic variant without sugar on top or without marmalade is the best as it's the pure taste.

I remember that my grandma made 40-50 of them for our family 😋

image.jpeg

This reply will be a small love letter to my German grandparents :D. 

I was very lucky as my grandparents live within 15min walking distance of my parents and I spent many afternoons and weekends (I guess when my parents had enough of me and my sister :D) at their place. 

My grandpa taught me how to make flour with a small hand mill and my grandma always had the most amazing recipes. If we were very lucky, she brought the ice machine upstairs, and we would make ice cream from frozen fruits, whipped cream and sugar. 

She also taught us how to make 'Königsberger Klopse', an old Prussian recipe. We usually ate them with potatoes which we mashed on the plate so they would absorb the sauce.

marina_pollehn_3-1695756828479.png

Here is an English recipe of the dish: 

German Meatballs in Gravy (Konigsberger Klopse) Recipe (thespruceeats.com)

For some reason, she also made the best mashed potatoes. Even if I use exactly the same measurements of the ingredients mine simply do not taste the same. 

Also her 'Quarkbällchen' became famous in the entire neighborhood. I am not allowed to share the recipe here so here is an alternative one in English :D.

marina_pollehn_4-1695756856330.png

EASY Donut Hole Recipe (Quarkbällchen) - dirndl kitchen 

A Dynatrace Professional nerd working for Conclusion Xforce

kuncarlos
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

From my Spanish side, the "roscos de anís" my mom would make every year: 

kuncarlos_0-1695895979267.png

From my Belgian Side: Friet met stoofvlees, which is a traditional Belgian dish consisting of french fries (friet) served with a hearty beef stew (stoofvlees). The beef stew is typically slow-cooked in a rich, flavorful sauce made with beer, onions, and various spices.

kuncarlos_1-1695896119810.png

WHomES

Abidyaseen
Participant

Hi guys have a look at the multicourse Kashmiri dish Wazwan that every Kashmiri loves to eat. Almost all the dishes are meat-based using lamb or chicken with few vegetarian dishes. It is popular throughout the larger Kashmir region. Wazwan is a revered Kashmiri culinary tradition, renowned for its opulent multi-course feasts prepared on special occasions. It features a sumptuous array of dishes, from aromatic gravies to succulent kebabs, each meticulously crafted by skilled chefs known as "wazas." This gastronomic experience embodies the warmth, culture, and hospitality of the Kashmiri people. 

Abidyaseen_0-1695896412966.png

Andre_LC_Silva
Dynatrace Enthusiast
Dynatrace Enthusiast

Brazilian hot dog is my favorite snack!

Foto-receita.jpg

In Sao Paulo they even put mash potatoes with it: 

kuncarlos_0-1695984656352.png

It is as odd as the pizzas with peas ( the so called "portuguesa")

kuncarlos_1-1695984908053.png

WHomES

This looks amazing!! Do you have a recipe, maybe? I'd like to try it 🙂 

richard_guerra
Advisor

My wife has a mold to make Oreshki

IMG_0662.JPG

Mohamed_Hamdy
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

For me, I like seafood, but the most important thing that I can't live without is Turkish Coffee.

Mohamed_Hamdy_0-1696059012826.png

Certified Dynatrace Professional | Certified Dynatrace Services Delivery - Observability & CloudOps | Dynatrace Partner - yourcompass.ca

PedroDeodato
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

What a risky one, indeed!! 🤣

And although I also very much support @natanael_mendes ' Bife com Batatas Fritas as a taste from my past too (obviously!), the one that really strikes me as nostalgic is the very typical "Bifinhos com Natas e Cogumelos": "Little Steaks with Cream and Mushrooms".

Here in Portugal, this dish is present nearly everywhere as it is very simple, cheap and very very yummi 😍

It regularly served with a brutal dose of french fries and rice, so you can dip both in the amazing sauce after finishing the meat 🍽

To me, besides being something that I eat since I was a small child, it has always been the greatest example of comfort food 😇

IMG_3827-min.jpg

Best regards, Pedro Deodato

look so good!!!

Dynatrace Professional Certified

Kenny_Gillette
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

We use to live in Germany/Holland many years ago when I was a kid.  Still remember and love a good Tartare sandwich

Kenny_Gillette_0-1696346838424.png

Does anybody still eat there?  People go crazy in US when they here I use to eat this.  

Dynatrace Certified Professional

I LOVE a good tartare sandwich! With some pickles and a smidge of whole grain mustard 😍

We upgraded this sandwich in Belgium and it is called Martino: 

kuncarlos_0-1696414314556.png

So apart from the steak tartare, we put: onions, ketchup, mustard(Dijon),tabasco,gerkins,capers, rucula, salad ( last two not for me).

WHomES

IzabelaRokita
Community Team
Community Team

Wow, so many original, amazing dishes, haven't heard before about nearly half of them - kudos! 😄

For me, the taste from the past (and fortunately, present as well!) is already mentioned before by @Ana_Kuzmenchuk borscht, but in its white version. The difference is, that the main ingredients aren't beets, but mushrooms, which I love! The mandatory addition to it has to be "uszka" - impossible to translate, but they're similar to ravioli 😉

White borscht with "uszka"White borscht with "uszka"

This dish is so special for me, because each year for Christmas Eve my grandma cooks it by herself from scratch, forming hundreds of "uszka" to show her love to us. This is something my family eats only once a year to celebrate the fact that despite living away from each other, we manage to gather around and enjoy grandma's fantastic cuisine together!

rohit_bc
Dynatrace Enthusiast
Dynatrace Enthusiast

Every Sunday tradition as a kid and something that even now if I am home, is a must! The quintessential Masala Dosa. With a creamy potato filling inside and enjoyed with some coconut chutney and hot sambhar!! Its cousin the Set Dosa, because it is usually served in as a set of 3 is fabulous as well. 

rohit_bc_0-1698065387355.png

rohit_bc_1-1698065500453.png

chiranjitdutta
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

सवज-चकन-saoji-chicken-recipe-in-marathi-रसप-च-मखय-फट.jpg

 Some special & Spicy Dish from my HomeTown. Its called Chicken Saoji which is the Most spiciest chicken eaten by locals.  

https://madhurasrecipe.com/non-veg-curry/saoji-chicken-marathi-recipe/

Featured Posts