cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to monitoring pod logs with application observability with pod runtime injection

doccorso
Newcomer

Hi,

I have setup application observability with pod runtime injection. Metrics are exported to Dynatrace and we can view under Infrastructure Observability > Host but logs and events are not visible

doccorso_0-1707894933104.png

Are there any missing setup to perform?

Thanks

Davide

6 REPLIES 6

PacoPorro
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi,

in the documentation refer to autodiscovery

OneAgent autodiscovers log messages written to the containerized application's stdout/stderr streams. The Docker logging driver saves these log streams in a file located in the /var/lib/docker/containers directory on the host running the containers. OneAgent autodiscovers log files from that path.

OneAgent autodiscovers log messages written to the containerized application's stdout/stderr streams and with OneAgent inject in the pod seem this autodiscovery not work.

PacoPorro
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Check the requirements.

If a log is not auto-discovered, please check how to add custom logs
https://docs.dynatrace.com/docs/shortlink/log-monitoring-custom-source#mainclscuipage

Pod deployments change frequently so I think it's not possibile configure every time custom logs, I think it's important the autodiscovery

bsnurka
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hey @doccorso , if you have your Dynakube resource deployed in Application Monitoring mode, I do not believe you should expect to see Host-level logs. Only for Kubernetes or Full Kubernetes Observability modes do we expect to ingest log analytics for the K8s platform itself. In AppMon mode, we only ingest Application level logs.

bsnurka_2-1707927639632.png

Can you try deploying to Dynakube in CloudNativeFullStack or Kubernetes Monitoring modes and see if the issue persists?

Hi, we use application observability with pod runtime injection, is not equal to AppMon mode? We need to monitoring application logs inside pod containers, we cannot setup Dynakube in CloudNativeFullStack or Kubernetes Monitoring modes and we chose the solution with pod runtime injection.

With pod runtime injection is it possible monitoring application logs?

Featured Posts