cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prometheus exporter integration - Tagging / Management Zones / Filter

pahofmann
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

The Prometheus integration made it very easy to include additional metrics for services deployed on k8s that already offer Prometheus exporters. 

What I found still lacking though is the ability to filter those metrics via management zones or find them easily. 

From what I observed the metrics are not linked to the PGI/POD they come from, so they are not shown under further details of the PGI and are only visible in the Metrics screen.

There are dimensions like Cloud Application Namespace and Cloud Application Instance, for the metrics. 

Those Entities are not taggable (yet?), but you can add them to a Management Zone. Even when the Kubernetes Namespace or Kubernetes workload is added to the mangementzone, the metrics still do not belong to that management Zone and don't appear when you filter for it.

Are there already plans for this and if so in what direction?

From my pov the best would be to have it like with every other integration: Where possible show the metrics right at the Entity to which it belongs. That would also make it easy to handle it with management zones and tags.

Dynatrace Certified Master, AppMon Certified Master - Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net
3 REPLIES 3

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Dynatrace has made improvements to MZs and tags with the new ability of the Entity Selector, but this new feature needs to be developed even more. 

-Chad

Yea. As far as I've seen you can only set the permissions based on the metric key, which wouldn't help a lot for this use case though.

But it has been a while since, I'll take another look.

Dynatrace Certified Master, AppMon Certified Master - Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

mreider
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

I'd like to refer people interested in Prometheus in Kubernetes clusters to this feedback thread for more input:

https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Feedback-channel/Feedback-Channel-for-Prometheus-Monitoring-in-Ku...

Kubernetes beatings will continue until morale improves

Featured Posts