cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Dashboards in DOS

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I had a customer ask me if he could backup all his dashboard JSONs to a local directory. Manually it can be done, but the job is impressive for even a few dashboards.

Now, the customer doesn't have easy access to a Linux system either. So it would have to be done in DOS and run in Windows 10! It's quite an old technology (maybe a Dynatrace first?), but it gets the job done.

DOS was a little bit rusty for me, but the task was done pretty quickly.

Program creates a directory for the day, subdirectories for each user having a dashboard, and the JSON files inside.

The details on Github: https://github.com/AntonioSousaCode/bkpDashboards/

Enjoy!

Antonio Sousa
5 REPLIES 5

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

I thought you were running a DOS emulator, but it was luckily just a batch file 🙂

Mike

Well, yes, I treat the Command Prompt by DOS. For me it will always be DOS 😉

Antonio Sousa

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Hi Antonio,

I did something similar a while ago - a generic script (bash, not DOS, sorry) to export/import various configuration entities for Dynatrace. I use it for transferring and synchronizing configurations between various environments. For example Request attributes, dashboards managed zones. It also outputs "preconfigured" curl commands so you can just set variables to point to a different environment and you synchronize the entities to that environment.
The exported configuration is stored in local files, so versioning it with git is then a piece of cake.

Have a look here:
https://github.com/juliusloman/dynatrace-configuration-exporter

Julius

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Hi @Július L.,

Yes, I use Linux shelling a lot with Dynatrace. But this particular client didn't have easy access to Linux, so this was an adaptation to DOS. The concepts are pretty close, so it was not that difficult 😉

It also shows that the usage of APIs, and Dynatrace in particular, are also available for a Windows desktop user, and the maybe a Dynatrace first I referred to above is for a DOS API usage...

Regards & congratulations 😉

Antonio Sousa

If the client does have managed, you can do it on the server node directly - at some clients this sometimes single Non-Windows VM 🙂

@Antonio S. congratulations to you too!

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Featured Posts