cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynatrace API to get application downtime

Balamurugesh
Guide

hi,

I am looking for an api which will returns total number of minutes or hours applications are down.

8 REPLIES 8

AntonPineiro
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi,

I would say that API does not exist but wait for others answers.

You can always raise a product idea about it.

Best regards

❤️ Emacs ❤️ Vim ❤️ Bash ❤️ Perl

DanielS
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hello @Balamurugesh as @AntonPineiro says there's no especific API for that, but what you can define is an SLO for an application and use the API to get the error budget. Is the difference between the calculated and target values. A positive number means all is good; a negative number means trouble. Or you can get the percentage.

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

You can have this but its only derived via Synthetics. So if your App EasyTravel had a synthetic running, Dynatrace would provide an application availability metric from the synthetic(s) and you could then query the data via API.

-Chad

Also you can use the metric API to then gain the availability rate for the applicable underlying infrastructure of the app when applicable. Granted it will be an availability percentage and not down time hours/mins. There use to be synthetic reports that had all that data but thats deprecated 

-Chad

hi Chad, we are already consuming  metric API to get availability % details. I am looking for an alternate API which will provide downtime details directly.

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@Balamurugesh,

If you don't have synthetics, as @ChadTurner as suggested, I would say from my experience that Apdex is a good proxy metric for what you are trying to achieve. You would have to control the amount of requests though, and using an SLO might be interesting in this case.

Antonio Sousa

could you please provide more details about Apdex related metrics?

@Balamurugesh,

There are several documentation pages about Apdex, namely

Apdex values are available through metrics, so you should use the metrics API.

Don't forget what I said above. This is a proxy metric, and you should combine it with others. SLOs are good for that, as also referenced by @DanielS 

Antonio Sousa

Featured Posts