Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Cluster Update Failed Because of same hostname for all nodes

gauresh_shinde
Contributor

Hi All,

We have 3 node cluster but all node have same hostname in CMC. We want to change the hostname. Anyone has done please assist us. Currently it using domain name as hostname

gauresh_shinde_0-1689839621295.png

Thanks,
Gauresh

4 REPLIES 4

chris_v
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Gauresh,

The cluster nodes get their names from a self-lookup on the nodes themselves, when the naming appears wrong, it's usually because the nodes hosts file doesn't include the right details.

I suggest you look at the /etc/hosts file on each node, and if not present add a self-resolving (localhost/127.0.0.1) entry for each node. without knowing what may already be in the hosts file in your case, leave anything already in there alone.

so for example if you have three nodes named node1, node2, and node3, and your domain name is example.org add a line in each like the below.

on node 1's /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1    node1 node1.example.org

on node 2's /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1    node2 node2.example.org

on node 3's /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1    node3 node3.example.org

The changes won't be picked up until after restarts, so don't worry if you don't see a change right away.

The same can be used for any Linux based ActiveGates you may have incorrect names for.

Is there any impact on Dynatrace setup?

No, the cluster uses the IP addresses for communications, the naming is just for us humans.

I'd be cautious with such a setup. I'm concerned it may cause OneAgent/ActiveGate communication issues, as hostnames will appear in the communication endpoint list. If the same domain is represented by multiple nodes it may cause instability, missed or incomplete data. It is recommended to have separate host names.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Featured Posts