cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Major operating system upgrade on ActiveGate hosts: any doc or official recommendations?

gilles_tabary
Advisor

Hello.

I use a "Managed" cluster. I fail to find explicit documentation on how to, or what to (not) do in order to  major upgrade the OS version on my hosts running my ActiveGate's (in my case RHEL 7.x to RHEL 8.x). Am I wrong thinking this could be different from a minor OS patch (which BTW cause us no problem) ? 

I see For ActiveGate

I see for Cluster nodes, but AFAIU not applicable for ActiveGate

Regards.

(For the record : https://one.dynatrace.com/hc/en-us/requests/178985)

3 REPLIES 3

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hello @gilles_tabary 

Yes. There are no specific Kernel or any other recommendations mentioned except the supported OS versions e.g. 7.9, 8.4, 8.6, 8.7, 9.0, 9.1, and with the passage of time we are getting operating systems support changes.

Regards,

Babar

Thanks a million for the input. To complete it, this what support said :

There isn't any required steps for the ActiveGate when updating the OS, as we said it's good to backup: 

/var/lib/dynatrace/config
/var/lib/dynatrace/ssl 

but the ActiveGate is just a program, so as long as it's running on a supported OS, it'll just run. I would: 

stop ActiveGate -> upgrade OS -> start ActiveGate

Regards.

Yes, stop AG services, then upgrade the operating system. Upgrade will definately involve reboot at the end and AG services should automatically start.

The directory quoted is incorrect. Depending on AG purpose it will be subset of:
- /var/lib/dynatrace/gateway
- /var/lib/dynatrace/synthetic
- /var/lib/dynatrace/zremote
- /var/lib/dynatrace/remotepluginmodule

Featured Posts