cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices to upgrade the ActiveGate extensions without interrupting the monitoring

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Dear All,

What are the best practices to upgrade the ActiveGate extensions without interrupting the monitoring?

Regards,

Babar

3 REPLIES 3

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@Babar_Qayyum,

This is a very interesting question! In fact, there are several similar cases, regarding introducing new endpoints/configurations/ etc, eg.: https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Extensions/Restart-remotepluginmodule-faster/m-p/210473

And it really depends on the extensions themselves. In the extensions I develop, I tend to preserve state in sqlite database, because no one knows when the next restart will be. But I frequently loose one minute data...

So, since extensions run each minute, my trick is to try to do it around second 15, and in this case, that minute gets processed, and  I typically only loose one minute of data....

But would be willing to know more tricks around this...

Antonio Sousa

Hello @AntonioSousa 

Thank you for your comments and tricks. Agree, we should have a way to upgrade the extensions without interruptions.

Regards,

Babar

I would also say that from empirical analysis, when we change an extension v1 configuration, it happens too. I even believe other extensions are impacted too, but not absolutely sure.

Antonio Sousa

Featured Posts