cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cron like schedule for 2.0 Extensions?

sivart_89
Advisor

The EF 1.0 custom db queries extension allows for use of a cron like schedule for when the queries will be executed. I have only seen the ability to specific how often (every 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc) to run the query for EF 2.0 extensions.

Does 2.0 have the ability to specify a cron like schedule? We use that pretty heavily today with the 1.0 extension. With the sunset of EF 1.0 in Oct next year I've started looking at replacing the one we use today with 2.0.

10 REPLIES 10

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Please see this thread. Although documention does not (yet) reflect the availability. It's just not possible to have this configured as configurable variable of the extension configuration and must be "hardcoded" in the extension yaml.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

What is referenced here is a standard interval such as every 5 minutes. I am aware of being able to change that to something else (10, 30, whatever) but that is not what I am referring to. As an example we have the 1.0 extension running a query on a cron schedule such as the below to run at a very specific time Monday - Friday. I don't see that being possible yet in the 2.0 framework.

0-5 12 * * MON-FRI

Yes, my fault. You can right now enable/disable extensions configuration using API. So, this can be accomplished for example by calling it from a workflow (if you are on SaaS and you have the new Dynatrace platform available) or triggering the API call remotely - for example from a cron scheduler.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Thanks for the information @Julius_Loman but I could see this still being a huge headache. If I recall correctly the query does not show up in a 'separate config object', or something you can individually manipulate. This means we would have to have a new extension for each query that has a unique schedule that cannot be put into the standard interval format.

While yes API calls are great, it just doesn't make much sense to not have this ability added to the new framework as it causes a lot more maintenance, unless I am missing something.

@Mike_L glad to see this is being brought in, thank you! 🙂

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

This is scheduled to be added to the SQL datasource somewhere in the first half of 2024 to bridge the most important gap with the Custom DB Query extension.

Mike

Hi Mike_L!

Are there any news on this? Thanks!

It has been postponed for now. It might be that this functionality is not present before the removal of extension framework 1.0.

Mike

I'm sad to hear this but I do appreciate the update here. I'm not quite ready to start moving everything over to the 2.0 extension I've developed but when ready I will work with the app team to adjust the scheduling.

Is there any way to leave the admins some time between you adding the cron functionality to the 2.0 extensions in case that it is not ready in time before the framework 1.0 removal and the framework 1.0 extensions removal?

It will make our monitoring unavailable only dued to this.

I'm working on the priority of this. I'll point the product manager to your comment about unavailable monitoring.

Mike

Featured Posts