cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated effort setting up SNMP Trap receive (with MIB files)

fstekelenburg
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Wondering if anyone can share some experience with setting up SNMP Trap receive in Dynatrace (with the extension).

If a device (say HP storage) is not known yet, how much effort is needed, with ballpark figure in time, to work on the traps (rewrite/translate), creating problem alert rules (form the log entries) for all the possible traps, and what are the pitfalls?

@AntonioSousa you may also have some experience? 🙂

Since Dynatrace has the extension but not the 'knowledge packs' per vendor/devicetype as some of the other monitoring tools do, it seems to come down to creating own extensions. A git-hub like facility to share device config know how would be a welcome resource I think. 

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner
1 REPLY 1

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@fstekelenburg,

Setting up traps, and starting the flow into Dynatrace is, indeed, quite immediate.

Once inside Logs, getting actionable alerts is something else. First of all, SNMP traps are not that well suited for Dynatrace problems, as you would have to match something that begins the problem, and then when it is solved. I have had more success treating them as events, and channeling them through alert channels, but not as problems.

That I know of, Davis does not treat SNMP traps as events that can eventually become problems. Have a long history of working with SNMP, and even a lot of vendor software have problems dealing with this.

Having something like "knowledge packs" would be a great addition to Davis!

Antonio Sousa

Featured Posts