cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How must the Network Jitter be monitored?

AgniLanka
Helper

In a typical video streaming world, how does the Network Jitter be monitored with Dynatrace?

i.e. packet transmission -vs- slowness et al., in the name of 'Network Jitter'

4 REPLIES 4

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

So Dynatrace Can show you network data as a whole from the Network Blade:

ChadTurner_0-1636056349994.png

At the host level you can also see NIC Metrics such as Traffic, Quality, Packets and connectivity. You can also see the network services with the number of DNS Queries and DNS Errors. 

At the process level you can see the Traffic for that process, in coming and outgoing, along with the number of TCP requests. You can also see the Connectivity, and the Quality that covers retransmissions, round trip time and throughput. 

-Chad

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I have worked with monitoring network jitter in the past, and can tell you that you will not be able to do it out-of-the-box with Dynatrace. To measure network jitter, you have to go deep at the packet level. You might be able to do it with extensions, but beware of the overhead involved. Also not sure if the old NAM solution did it, maybe someone can talk about that, since I didn't have the opportunity to work with NAM.

Antonio Sousa

Curious if anymore on this. I have used various VoIP tools for jitter and MOS score results. Would be awesome to be able to achieve something like this on Dynatrace Managed.

I concur. Would be very handful to have such feature.

Featured Posts