cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft SQL Extensions for Dynatrace Managed

Haziq
Observer

Hi currently running a managed Dynatrace environment. I am trying to monitor a Microsoft SQL server using ActiveGate Extension and have successfully installed AG and the extension. 

Based on documentation, under connection parameters, https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/ms-sql#connection-parameter-details, it says to provide a port number "on which SQL Server is ready to accept connections from ActiveGate". 

My questions would be
1) do I need to set an outbound connection from ActiveGate to the SQL server or is it the other way round? 

2) Is there a recommended port that I should be using? 

3) When trying to set the configurations, the option to input port number is indicated as "optional". What would be the best practice here? 

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi,

That would be the port on which the database is listening for queries. By default for SQL server it is 1433, but you can change it on that screen if your server is listening on another port.

Mike

Haziq
Observer

I tried using 1433 but it still is giving me the error. Any other configurations should I check?

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

What error do you see if you click on error (that brings you to the logs)? Can you telnet from the ActiveGate to the SQL server that you're trying to connect to? Maybe there is a firewall blocking the connection.

Mike

I'm unable to see the logs for that as the environment currently does not have log monitoring v2 enabled. 

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

You can find the logs directly on the ActiveGate as well. It might be easier to open a support case though. That way our support can get the log files and let you know how to resolve it.

Mike

Kenny_Gillette
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi,

1) do I need to set an outbound connection from ActiveGate to the SQL server or is it the other way round? 

are firewall rules open from AG to SQL server.  That is my guess.

Dynatrace Certified Professional

virdsing
Newcomer

Is it uni-directional connection?

Yes, it's always the ActiveGate connecting to the SQL Server instance and never the other way around.

Featured Posts