cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL Certificate Monitor extension DDU cost?

jose_araya
Advisor

Hi, we're interested in using this extension to monitor several certificates.

Can someone explain to me how is this licensed?

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

jose_araya
Advisor

I'm talking about this extension:

https://www.dynatrace.com/hub/detail/ssl-certificate-monitor/#overview

Regards,

Jose.

Hi @jose_araya,

You can find it in the above documentation of the DDU calcluation:

"Annual DDU consumption is calculated using the following formula: <# of discovered certificates> x <24 / certificate check interval (hours)> x 365 x 0.001. e.g., A single certificate checked every 8 hours will consume  ~1.1 (1 x (24/8) x 365 x 0.001) DDUs per year2

BUT. 

There are two ways of monitoring: via oneagent or via activegate based on the configuration information.

If you use the cert infromation collection via oneagnet you will / can use the the inculded metrics per host units. https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/metric-cost-calculation#metrics-per-host-unit

In this case it will be only reported DDU until the included metrics DDU.

If you use the cert infromation collection via active gate the DDU will be deducted immadiately and will be consumed DDU.

Funny but I also discovered this extension today and my fisrt test was the check of the DDU consumption.😉 

I think it is very useful for the organizations, howerver the big cert providers can send notification for cert expirations.

Best regards,

Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

@jose_araya , 

Can you please share how you have configured the extension? Are the alerts getting generated with this extension?

Regards,

NP

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @np9,

Yes of course. Problems are generated autoamtically as per the extension documnetation. But you have to create an alerting prodile and problem notification integration if you would like to notify a dedicated IT ops team. 

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Mizső 

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

Thanks for your response @Mizső - We already have alerting profile and respective problem notification but it is not generating the problem ticket. Is this extension mainly for "Host" certificate monitoring? Our use case is to monitor the SSL certificate check for URLs. 

Regards,

NP

Hello @np9 I leave here an example of a problem being created by this extension, we have several already.

jose_araya_0-1703092226792.png

ben_davidson
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi @np9,

Either use case is supported. The extension can be deployed on a host with an installed OneAgent. In this case the extension will automatically discover the certificates being used by OneAgent monitored processes. 

If the extension is deployed on an ActiveGate, you can provide a list of URLs and the extension will then check the certificates presented by those URLs. 

Problem generation and alerting works the same in either case. 

Featured Posts