cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic Monitoring Port Extension

tnoonan
Guide

Why is it that the Synthetic Monitoring Extension has the option to perform a test using "UDP" protocol in the user interface when only to find out, through support (all day long), that UDP will not work out of the box?  And then the only guidance to modify is through a paid engagement with the extensions team.

7 REPLIES 7

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Can you send on the support ticket? We’ve got customers using it without any services intervention.

Mike

Conversation #122683

Thanks, I'll talk it over with the people that handled the ticket as their information is outdated. They based it off a discussion of mine from 2 years ago when we did not support UDP.

Mike

Thank you, Mike. 

After reviewing the thread and the supporting images, why do you think the UDP request would be timing out?  I can hit the endpoint/port from the activegate using ncat.

Can you drop the ncat command/response?

This is the python code we're executing for synthetic UDP requests:

import socket
sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
sock.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_REUSEADDR, 1)
sock.settimeout(timeout)
sock.connect((ip, port))

sock.sendall(b"")
data = sock.recv(1024)
print(f"Received data: {data}")

Could you drop that into a .py file, switch out timeout, ip and port and see if it works?

Mike

It does indeed receive a socket timeout.

ec2-user@ip-172-35-0-123 ~]$ /usr/bin/python3.8 udpTest.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "udpTest.py", line 8, in <module>
data = sock.recv(1024)
socket.timeout: timed out

I noticed from ncat that if I use "-z" for zero i/o it will just report on the success of the connection.  If I remove that -z option then it hangs up like they python code.  

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

This was resolved in the support ticket. The support for UDP is now much improved. 

Mike

Featured Posts