cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating of deep monitoring via UI or API

JAR
Guide

Hello.
I have installed several oneagents in infraonly =TRUE  and set-auto-injection-enabled=false.

But now I need to see metrics of the processes running on these hosts.

I have tried to change the configuration via UI and API; but the only way to change it is through oneagentctl?

Am I doing something wrong? or is it an error in the documentation?

Thanks in advance

BR
Jose A

5 REPLIES 5

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

To change the deep monitoring configuration you can use

Just note, that application processes to be deep monitored must be restarted after the change is applied.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Thanks Julio.
That's right, there are 3 way to do it.

But what happens is this:
I installed oneagent using the command line:
bin/sh Dynatrace-OneAgent-Linux.sh --set-infra-only=true --set-auto-injection-enabled=false

and now i´m trying to deepen monitoring. Using UI or API ways i see same result:

Activation of deep monitoring was unsuccessful
OneAgent auto-injection was manually disabled on this host

I think if I enable deep-monitoring via commandline, the only way to changeit is using the command line: oneagentctl

I hope I have clarified my situation

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

@JAR ok, I finally understand your question now.

There are two settings here:

• infra-only mode 
  • auto injection

The auto-injection is your issue here. The local setting on OneAgent using installation or oneagentctl has precedence over the setting that the OneAgent receives from Dynatrace server. It also shows you that in the UI:

Julius_Loman_0-1650298897983.png
You should not disable auto-injection unless it's really required for some reason. More on that in the docs

So in your situation, you need to apply the oneagentctl command on the hosts to enable process injection. Switching to full-stack monitoring (which indeed requires injection) can be then achieved from the UI or API.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

@Julius_Loman  Thanks for detailed answers in this and others threads.With my own tests and detailed description here, it solves my questions. 👍  

DT_NGINX_FORCE_UNKNOWN_VERSION_INSTRUMENTATION=1

Can someone confirm that when the setting is changed on the host to false, this is not reflected in the UI? E.g. the switch is still 'on' and not greyed out.

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner

Featured Posts