Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be notified of increased SQL statement costs

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Dears All,

How to configure and be notified of the increased SQL statement costs?

Regards,

Babar

10 REPLIES 10

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@Babar_Qayyum,

If you are talking about Oracle's statement plans cost, I believe it is not available for the moment.

But, it this SQL cost varies significantly, it does impact the timings that Dynatrace detects, and you will be alerted when it varies significantly, also.

Antonio Sousa

Hello @AntonioSousa 

According to the documentation. It should be supported.

Babar_Qayyum_0-1682147982668.png

Regards,

Babar

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@Babar_Qayyum,

That part of the documentation is not about the costs I was thinking of 🤔

Antonio Sousa

@Babar_Qayyum,

I was referring to the Cost in Oracle statement plans:

AntonioSousa_0-1682160876092.png

Antonio Sousa

Hello @AntonioSousa 

Exactly. I am looking for the same. Is the following highlighted point telling something else/ or was I misunderstood?

Babar_Qayyum_0-1682162335345.png

Regards,

Babar

@Babar_Qayyum,

Pretty sure it's not directly related to the Cost column in Oracle statement plans.

I believe that the point refers to the fact that we can be alerted when the SQL statements start consuming more time/resources, and in a certain way, reflects the Costs referenced by the statement plans, although not the same in terms of metric.

Antonio Sousa

Hello @AntonioSousa 

Thank you. Do you think that such type of a metric can be provided by Dynatrace? Will this enhance the insight of the database (as the execution metric is already available)?

Regards,

Babar

@Babar_Qayyum,

I believe it could, but given the number of queries, I believe it might have an impact on overhead on the database itself.

Antonio Sousa

Hello @AntonioSousa 

Thank you for your opinion. In this case, the metrics can be available on-demand bases, as we have a SQL bind value. I am doing this brainstorming with you because recently we have seen a wearied behavior of the stress testing in the UAT environment where nothing was clear until a DBA disclosed that there is a query performing a full table scan plus a high cost and without any index. So he had to create an index to enhance the query performance. 

The new execution plan cost was reduced from 106 to 3. Therefore, if we can have such types of observations from the monitoring perspective instead of relying on DBAs.

Regards,

Babar

Featured Posts