cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't identify missing time on Distributed Trace

PickleRick
Visitor

Good evening.  Working through a problem where we have a process that is taking 16 minutes to complete.  We're using distributed traces to identify why the process is taking so long but unfortunately we're left with a large amount of "unknown".  Here's an example:

PickleRick_0-1712807094800.png

If I were to scroll the entire window, none of the calls would fill "left to right", each call individually is roughly 1 second or so.

If I look at the timing details of the 16 minute call I see this:

PickleRick_1-1712807244011.png

So, I'm confused.  I don't see what's causing this overall call to run for as long as it is, and as I explore Dynatrace nothing jumps out.  Ideas on what I may be missing?

3 REPLIES 3

erh_inetum
Advisor

Hi @PickleRick ,

It seems you can´t click on "View Method Hotspots" button because is missing.

Have you tried to click on "Invoke" on the tree, then "Summary" tab and then on the Request "UpdateContract on ..."? Maybe from there you can go to "View method hotspots" section and then viewing the top findings of the request. I mean, get to see something like:

erh_inetum_2-1712813631103.png

Hope it helps you.

Regards,

Elena.

PickleRick
Visitor

Thanks Elena!  I could see some hotspots, but even this isn't giving me the insight I'm looking for (it could very well be here and I'm simply missing it.. but.. I'm not seeing it 🙂

PickleRick_0-1712843672451.png

Choosing Code Execution gives me:

PickleRick_1-1712843730958.png

And choosing "Method Hotspots" gives me....

PickleRick_2-1712843763963.png

Which is irritating, right!?  Feels like whatever I need should be here...

Hi @PickleRick ,

Have you tried changing the timeframe in Method hotspots? Select for instance "Last 24 hours". And also remove "Request type: Default requests" filter.

Regards,

Elena.

Featured Posts