cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic DB Query Plugin Not working for MYSQL 5.7

Bhargav_314
Participant

Hi Team,

I am trying to configure the Generic DB Query Plugin for MSYQL 5.7 and its keep on getting failed with below error. Can you please help me with this issue. I have provided username, password, port number and all the mandatory configuration in the plugin.

Custom DB Query Extension error

Error running queries: Could not connect to the database using com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver: com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.

Regards,

Bhargav

4 REPLIES 4

danielD
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hello,

Here is the documentation for the Custom DB Query extension.

Custom Database Queries | Dynatrace Hub

I just wanted to confirm that those were the steps you were following, you have the active gate set up and can communicate with it / have downloaded the extension to it, but you're getting errors on being able to connect to the database within the dynatrace extension? 

Thanks

Bhargav_314
Participant

Hello,

Yes, I have followed the same steps mentioned in the documentation, still getting the error. Can you please check once.

Thanks,

Bhargav

I have the same issue

natanael_mendes
Champion

The error message you're encountering suggests that there is a problem with the communication between your Dynatrace Generic DB Query Plugin and the MySQL database. This issue can be caused by various factors, and here are some steps to troubleshoot and resolve it:

1. **Network Connectivity and Firewall Issues:**
- Ensure that your Dynatrace server and the MySQL database server can communicate over the network. Check for any firewall rules that might be blocking the connection.
- Verify that the port you specified in the plugin configuration (typically 3306 for MySQL) is open and accessible from the Dynatrace server.
- If your MySQL database is hosted on a remote server, make sure that it allows external connections and that the host and port settings are correct.

2. **MySQL Server Status:**
- Confirm that the MySQL server is running and accepting connections. You can do this by logging into the MySQL server directly or using a MySQL client tool.
- Check the MySQL server logs for any errors or issues related to connections. Look for log files in the MySQL data directory or wherever your MySQL server is configured to store logs.

3. **MySQL User Privileges:**
- Ensure that the MySQL user specified in your Dynatrace plugin configuration has the necessary privileges to connect to the database and perform the required queries. You can check and grant privileges using the MySQL `GRANT` statement.

4. **MySQL JDBC Driver:**
- Verify that you are using the correct JDBC driver for MySQL. In your case, you are using the `com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver`, which is appropriate for MySQL 5.7. Ensure that the JDBC driver JAR file is included in your Dynatrace environment and that it's compatible with the Dynatrace version you are using.

5. **Connection String Configuration:**
- Check the connection string in your plugin configuration. It should include the correct hostname or IP address of the MySQL server, port number, database name, username, and password.

6. **Dynatrace Plugin Configuration:**
- Review your plugin configuration in Dynatrace and double-check that all required fields are filled in correctly. Ensure that there are no extra spaces or special characters causing issues in the configuration.

7. **Test Connection:**
- Some plugin configurations provide a "Test Connection" or "Test" button. Try using this feature to validate the database connection from within Dynatrace. It can help identify specific issues with the configuration.

8. **MySQL Server Version Compatibility:**
- Make sure that the MySQL server version you are connecting to is compatible with the JDBC driver you are using. The `com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver` is suitable for MySQL 5.7, but if you upgrade to a newer version of MySQL, you may need to update the JDBC driver.

By systematically checking these points, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue that is preventing your Dynatrace Generic DB Query Plugin from connecting to your MySQL 5.7 database.

You can see the documentation page here

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/setup-and-configuration/technology-support/dynatrace-extensio...

Dynatrace Professional Certified

Featured Posts