cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidelines on organising ActiveGate groups for Extensions 2.0

Adrian_I
Participant

Hello,

We are looking for guidance on managing a large number of Extensions 2.0 in our tenants.

What's of interest for us is how to plan the Active Gate groups architecture so it's easily manageable on a large scale. Our initial approach was to have a dedicated group for each extension (on each tenant), but, as we started to enable more and more extensions, this turned out to be quite a pain to scale out easily.

From the official docs we know that a single Active Gate group could run up to 10 different extensions. Keeping in mind that a lot of the Extensions we use have their own pre-requisites (custom trusted stores, different drivers to be available, etc.), it is unclear for us if all the devices in an Active Gate group would need the exact same setup that matches simultaneously the pre-requisites of all the Extensions planned to be assigned from that group.

For example, if I would like to run the DB2 Extension and the IBM I Extension, will it work to have a single group with one Active Gate that matches the pre-requisites of the DB2 Extension and another Active Gate that matches the IBM I Extensions requirements? How does Dynatrace decides which Active Gate in the corresponding group will run the extension?

Any help would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hello @Adrian_I 

I do not think there is a specific ActiveGate requirement to run the multiple extensions because it is a module that needs to be enabled to support the extension.

https://docs.dynatrace.com/managed/setup-and-configuration/dynatrace-activegate/capabilities/routing...
However, you can use the dedicated performance profile configuration for a better result "I recently faced a performance problem when using the existing ActiveGate group for the IBM MQ extension".
https://docs.dynatrace.com/docs/shortlink/dedicated-performance-profile

Regards,

Babar

Hello @Babar_Qayyum ,

Thank you for the comment!

Unfortunately, that is not what I am asking about.

The requirements I am talking about are Extension specific. I mentioned some concrete examples in my initial post (trusted stores, drivers, MiB files in specific locations and so on).

I am not concerned about the module enablement part, I am looking for a manageable way to have everything under a single Active Gate group.

Featured Posts