cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing two OneAgents on the same server

DAVID_MTZ
Contributor

Hi 

I have a question, i have two Dynatrace tenant, one for production and other for pre-production, is possible that one server has installed two oneagent, one that aims to production tenant and the other that aims to pre-production tenant.

6 REPLIES 6

Romanenkov_Al3x
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hello.

In general: it is not possible to put two agents on the same server.

Perhaps only if you have for example a docker host and two containers. Adding an agent to the image for different environments and runing on same docker host - you will achive situation that you have two different containers/process and monitoring data in two different environments.

Regards,

Alex Romanenkov

DT_NGINX_FORCE_UNKNOWN_VERSION_INSTRUMENTATION=1

fstekelenburg
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

So you are saying that a host can be both in Production, and Pre-Productions phase?

More than one OneAgent is not supported. (Though technically, if you reconfigure the port assignments, you might get somewhere).

I recommend you to consider to connect your environments and use the cross-environment facility:

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Actually, both @fstekelenburg  and @Romanenkov_Al3x  are valid, however depending on your particular use case I'd also recommend thinking about using PaaS OneAgent versions. So if you are deploying to a host (e.g. not Kubernetes or other application platforms), you can combine full OneAgent from one environment and a PaaS version from another one. Then you will have the full OneAgent reporting to one environment and just a process / processes with manually injected PaaS OneAgent to another environment. 

• You have to configure injection rules or disable injection for the particular paas oneagent monitored processes on the environment where the full OneAgent is reporting to.
  • PaaS OneAgent has to be updated manually (there is no support for auto-update of PaaS OneAgent versions.
  • You won't see metrics of other processes from the host in the environment where the PaaS OneAgent is reporting. Still, you will see basic OS metrics + all the process metrics of the monitored process.
  • You will get proper tracing support. Cross-environment tracing recommended by  @fstekelenburg  is also a valid approach but has its limits.
Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

The same applies to the use of Agentless RUM, when you have different web sites/services on a host that are in different phases, and explicitly need to be split, right @Julius_Loman? Assuming you're not meaning the same 😉

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner

No, I mean just OneAgents. Agentless RUM is not related to this at all.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Right, but could be the goal, which I forgot to ask. So @DAVID_MTZ what is it exactly that you are trying to achieve?

Featured Posts