Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring an application with a frontend written in C++

radek_jasinski
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi Team,

I'm wondering how I can monitor (at least partially) the front end of an application at my client that is written in C++ (running as a desktop application). Integration at ;the application code level is not an option. A few ideas come to mind:

- monitoring the user station using OA in infra mode - however, I would have to install more than 100 agents, which the client will probably not agree to
- selecting specific arguments and defining Request Attributes to verify if certain business operations are performed

Anything else I can suggest to the client?

Radek

Have a nice day!
3 REPLIES 3

AntonPineiro
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi,

I would check:

Best regards

❤️ Emacs ❤️ Vim ❤️ Bash ❤️ Perl

Thanks Antonio:)

Unfortunately, OTel instrumentation or OpenKit is not an option. The vendor who provided this application several years ago no longer provides support.

I guess the only thing left for me is backend monitoring - services and request attributes

Thank you 😊

Radek

Have a nice day!

Then you are out of luck. Unfortunately. If the application does not have any telemetry API, you are left with monitoring the infra metrics or logs only. No traces, services or request attributes with this is a pure c/c++. Most likely logs could be a sometimes a source you can use to build up opentelemetry traces.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Featured Posts