cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number value in forms change when I scroll with my mouse

ct_27
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

I'm sure we've all experienced this but I see no RFE/RFI so maybe the community doesn't have this issue.

The problem is, if I click on a number field an a form, then use my scroll wheel on my mouse to go up and down the page, the number increases or decreases as I scroll the mouse wheel.  This happens for a moment because once the page scrolls enough that my mouse leaves the input field it stops changing the number.

Problem is, the damage is done.  I just unknowingly modified the threshold of a configuration in the form.

Normally you could catch on to this but say you have already changed another value in the form that you intended to change, then you use your mouse to scroll down to the save button on the bottom of the page. During that scrolling you could have accidently modified a threshold, unknowingly. And then hit save on it; thinking you only saved the intended change; not also the threshold number.

This is a common issue, look at this forum post where people are trying to solve for this problem. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9712295/disable-scrolling-on-input-type-number 

Is anyone else experiencing this?  DT, this is more of a browser introduced issue. I'm using the latest version of Chrome.  Your UI team may need to put some code in place to stop this from happening until the world convinces Google to stop this behavior. Unlikely because the forum post above is over 10 years old.   

HigherEd
2 REPLIES 2

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

cant say I have experienced this yet. Sorry @ct_27 

-Chad

ct_27
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

thanks Chad for reply.  For those wondering what I'm talking about here is a screen recording of it. In this recording I type in a new number but all actions after that are done with my mouse scroll wheel. 

You can see the number change very quickly as I scroll with the mouse wheel.

scrollwheel.gif

HigherEd

Featured Posts