Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Examples of OS service monitoring best practices

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi Folks,

Do you have any good examples for Linux and Windows OS service monitoring?

I use only the default embedded Linux and Windows rules for failed autosart processes.

Mizs_0-1711634945236.png

Do you have any usecases which can be useful for others?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Mizső 

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional
5 REPLIES 5

Mohamed_Hamdy
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi @Mizső,

I have multiple use cases for OS service monitoring, especially for Windows OS, and one of the important use cases is related to the MSSQL service monitoring on multiple servers, which in my case should be up and running all the time.

so I have configured it for the MSSQL services with the alerting condition if the service status is not in a running state same as the following screenshot

Mohamed_Hamdy_1-1711649371086.png

also, I have added all configured OS services in a dashboard using the below query in Data Explorer with Honeycomb and enabled show labels to get the availability percentage, hostname, and service name.

Note: you can change the status based on the configured status in your case

(builtin:osservice.availability:filter(prefix("dt.entity.os:service",CUSTOM_DEVICE-)):filter(or(eq("dt.osservice.status",running),eq("dt.osservice.status",active))):sum:auto:sort(value(sum,descending)):splitBy("dt.entity.host","dt.entity.os:service")/builtin:osservice.availability:filter(prefix("dt.entity.os:service",CUSTOM_DEVICE-)):sum:auto:sort(value(sum, descending)):splitBy("dt.entity.host","dt.entity.os:service")*100):setUnit(Percent):splitBy("dt.entity.host","dt.entity.os:service"):sort(value(auto,ascending)):limit(100)

Best regards,

Mohamed

Certified Dynatrace Professional | Certified Dynatrace Services Delivery - Observability & CloudOps | Dynatrace Partner - yourcompass.ca

Hi @Mohamed_Hamdy,

Thanks very much for sharing it!!!

Best regards,

Mizső 

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

tijust1
Advisor

@Mohamed_Hamdy Thanks for providing this use case as well as query.

Dynatrace Professional Certified

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi @Mizső ,

In out use case, customer asked to monitor all Windows OS services that are marked to be in running mode and are not running on server that is using OA in infrastructure mode.

HTH

Yos

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

sia_h
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi,

Within some of my clients, we monitor essential services like backup software, antivirus software, and endpoint security software. Moreover, for Windows Servers we monitor services like SQL Server, IIS, and Windows Defender.

Display NameService Name
SQL ServerMSSQLSERVER
Windows DefenderWinDefend
IIS (Internet Information Services)W3SVC

Sia

Featured Posts