cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP alerting when data is not available

AhmedKhaled_94
Observer

Hello All,

We currently monitor our SAP instances using the SAP extension. I am looking into creating alerting based on when the SAP modules stop sending data.

The way I was having in mind was to set up this using the Metric events and then creating a metric for lets say CPU usage, and turn on the alerting when data is missing as seen below:

AhmedKhaled_94_0-1713443518696.png

Any idea if this would work as intended, or any better ideas?

Thank you

Certified Dynatrace Associate - Senior APM Engineer - SRE/DevOps
2 REPLIES 2

erh_inetum
Advisor

Hi @AhmedKhaled_94 ,

On my experience it'll work as intended. I mean: you can create a metric event using metric selector for a CPU usage metric as you said defining a threshold and enable "Alert on missing data" also.

erh_inetum_0-1713454801168.png

So it triggers an alert if the threshold is above an assigned value or the metric doesn´t return data.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Elena.

PierreGutierrez
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi @AhmedKhaled_94 
If your goal is alert when data is not available, your best option is " Alert on missing data". I agree
https://docs.dynatrace.com/docs/shortlink/anomaly-detection-missing-data

Some tips important that you need to know are : 

🎯 One tip

PierreGutierrez_0-1713798636651.png

PierreGutierrez_1-1713798698167.png

It is important to know the warning rule also applies to this option.
It means that for the alert to be passed automatically, it must meet the "Dealerting samples" parameter.
For the example its necessary to pass 5 minutes with data, to alert close automatically ( without interruptions)

🎯 Second Tip
Also its important evaluate the delayed data because some times in integrations exist this escenario

PierreGutierrez_2-1713799178711.png

I hope help you 💪

Pierre Gutierrez - LATAM ACE Consultant - Loving Cats! Loving Technology !

Featured Posts