cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service tags for OpenTelemetry services

lukegoyer
Observer

I have a few services ingesting metrics and traces with OpenTelemetry.  Is there a way I can add tags to those services based on their  OTel resource attributes?  I can see the attributes on the spans, but don't see them under the service's properties and tags.

I'm interested in using the service.version, deployment.environment, and other attributes that define ownership.

1 REPLY 1

rgarzon1
Mentor

Hi lukegoyer

i tried what you are pointing and its correct i cant see them either when i try to get them in tags

so in a short answer could be in this moment its not posible to set the spans attributes in auto tags.

you can try set them this using the entityid

• entityselector, entityid, and next set for the entity the tags that you need (version, deployment) but this would be a long and tedious work. 

when i was triyng to give you a answer i notice that maybe you can use the release aproach for define that. 
because you are trying to achieve this 

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/manage/ownership/best-practices 

and one of the options its with tags

one way could be that you can create a nomenclature name for the services monitored by otel

• <environment>-<owner>-<technology>-<name
  • OTEL_RESOURCE_ATTRIBUTES="service.name=<environment>-<owner>-<technology>-<name>,service.version=1.0.1"

and next use this in the entityselector for tagging

or in other way you can create a logic with custom api tag and set the tags manually with a single call

but i was not able to doit with spans attributes of OTel.

Regards

fuelled by coffee and curiosity.

Featured Posts