cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Request Service Detection with Context Path Case Insensitive

jerh
Visitor

I'm creating a service detection rule under the "Full web request rules".  I have a set of services that are under a sub-path and have been able to use the conditions and URL context root to isolate them into individual services by using the URL context root.

However, the paths for these services are case insensitive.  So, I get several services in dynatrace made for the same requests.

For example one service would end up being created for the path:

/WebAPI/Documents

Another would be created for the path:

/webapi/Documents

Is there a way with the service detection to force it to be case insensitive on the context paths when performing service detection on the URL context root?

5 REPLIES 5

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @jerh,

Which operation was applied in the condition section? Have you tried apply the contains operation?

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

I had a single condition to only apply the change if the URL path starts with "/WebAPI" that check was case insensitive.

That seems to be working OK.

The problem is that it creates multiple services for each different casing:

/WebAPI/Documents

/webapi/Documents

/webapi/documents

Would like one service for all request traffic regardless of path casing.  

I'm beginning to think it's not possible in Dynatrace and I may need to change the service detection rules to have a condition on /WebAPI/Documents and then have the URL context root be re-written to /WebAPI/Documents.  However, that is a bit painful as I would have to manually add a service detection rule for each path under /WebAPI

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @jerh,

I agree with you it would be painfull to manually add the service detection rules for each path under /WebAPI. But now I do not see other oprtions, maybe the other community members have some ideas.

Maybe you should open a product idea about it.

Best regards,

Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

Hi @jerh 

From Service detection API - PUT a full web service rule documentation under the Request body JSON model its look like there is ignoreCase switch that you can utilize 

Yosi_Neuman_0-1683262628754.png

HTH

Yos

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

That applies to what requests get matched and seems to work OK there.  I believe what I'd need the transform operation to apply lower case / upper case.  Or, have the TAKE_SEGMENTS transformation apply a casing.

The full web request API docs: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/dynatrace-api/configuration-api/service-api/detection-rules/f...

I'm using the TAKE_SEGMENTS transformation:

jerh_0-1684246837909.png

I believe I'd need a transform to apply a casing to the url context, or that take segments would need an option to apply a uniform casing.  Unfortunately, I see neither currently.

Featured Posts