cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real User Monitoring... how to monitor every user action

jeevan
Newcomer

Hey all, this is my first question here... i took a trial of Dynatrace and Setup the browser extension for hosts to monitor a particular web application.

The extension is added in my chrome browser and am able to monitor user actions successfully of that browser... Also there were some bots whose actions were recorded.

But how can i monitor every other user who is visiting my website? Is it possible with Dynatrace browser extension method or is there some other method?

2 REPLIES 2

DanielS
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

For an optimum experience is better to install the OneAgent on the front end, middleware servers at least and DB servers where your app is running. After that you can follow this guide https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/my-web-application to create your Application. To install the OneAgent you can go to Deploy Dynatrace-> Start Installation and choose your OS of choice to follow the instructions.

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

fstekelenburg
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Ideally, as DanielS stated, you install the OneAgent on your (web)servers.

If you can't install OneAgent on your web server, you can still monitor user actions and user satisfaction with agentless RUM.
Agentless real user monitoring is an alternative approach to Dynatrace setup that’s useful when you can’t install OneAgent directly on your web or application servers. It works by inserting a JavaScript tag or snippet into the HTML of each of your application’s pages.
See: Set up agentless Real User Monitoring | Dynatrace Help

Your suggested approach, using the browser extension, would only work if you control all the browsers of the users, usually only possible within your team or company.
For applications where you can't install OneAgent and also don't have access to the HTML you can use the Dynatrace browser extension to enable real user monitoring.
It can be complimentary, because that way you can also record the use of external web based applications. 
Set up the RUM browser extension | Dynatrace Help

Check out the Deploy Dynatrace section in the Dynatrace application portal for your environment.

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner

Featured Posts