cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences between applications and services in anomaly detection

jose_damian_rui
Organizer

Hello all. I hope you and your environment are healthy.

I realize that is possible to adjust problem sensitivity in dynatrace console (Anomaly detection).

But for me is not clear the difference between Application Anomaly detection and Services Anomaly Detection. I suspect that may be Services is referring to backends (database, 3rd parties services calls ) but I'm not sure.

So I really appreciate if someone could explain the differences in Dynatrace for Application Anomaly Detection thresholds and Services Anomaly Detection thresholds.

Many Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

r_weber
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi Jose!

In Dynatrace Applications refer to the end-user side of your landscape. These are the digital touchpoints that are running in the browser, the mobil device, mobile apps etc. - whereever a user directly interacts with it.

Services however are the components that serve the application (e.g. you backend code, your application server might provide multiple services, microservices, your webserver might serve static content, or even external 3rd party services). These services ("Transactions and Services") are usually detected automatically and dynamically. Applications however you have to define manually (e.g. by URL matching rules).

For anomaly detection this also explains the different settings there. From an Application Perspective a whole different set of metrics, errors etc. is relevant than for services.

Hope that helps,
Reinhard

Certified Dynatrace Master, Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

Featured Posts