cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor email triggering in Office 365

gustavodutra
Contributor

Hello, folks.

I would like to know if there is any way in Dynatrace, whether through metrics, custom alerts, integrations, or the like, to monitor email sending in Office 365.

We have a situation where the user forwards an email containing payment information (PIX) directly to the customer. They receive a QR code and make the payment.

However, some emails are not being forwarded, and the customer needs to contact us directly to request the QR code.

Is there any magical way for Dynatrace to alert us when the sending process fails?

4 REPLIES 4

gustavodutra
Contributor

Could the Exchange Server extension help with this?

gustavodutra
Contributor

Nobody for help me?

HannahM
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Do you see anything in the logs when this scenario occurs? If so, perhaps you could use Log Analytics/ Log Monitoring: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/observe-and-explore/logs

Synthetic SME and community advocate.

ct_27
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

I've searched for similar in the past but Dynatrace does not monitor such things. I'm not sure of the term here but it's what tools like Exoprise do, not Dynatrace.

We started to go down the route of MS Graph API and even monitoring the MS Regional Health public monitors.  Neither solution can get you the detailed, real-time metrics you need from a third-party perspective.  

In order to do this you will need some direct trigger or event monitor. Some fancy business process rule in Dynatrace that somehow uses Application Monitoring to ensure the QR codes are being picked up at the same rate the emails are going out.  Every time your application sends an email, capture it in Dynatrace as the first leg of your conversion process. Then monitor the number of requests you receive for picking up the QR code. Have Dynatrace monitor the delta between these two numbers and if too large send an alert because it would indirectly indicate the emails are going out but not being received because the QR codes are not being accessed.

Outside of the above, we have an internal test that schedules an email to go out every 1 hour to a tool named Healthcheck.io.  If an email is not received every 1 hour the alarms go off.  This isn't the best solution because there are 300,000 Microsoft email servers around the world and our test could cross a healthy server while the critical email crosses an unhealth server. We'll never get alerted.  This is a fundamental issue you can't do anything about by simply monitoring Office365 exchange servers.  You essentially need to turn your email process into a TCP like transmission vs a UDP.

HigherEd

Featured Posts