cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High system resources consumption detected for datasources

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I have an environment with ActiveGates that are used mainly for extensions v2, with SNMP & traps. Lots of them...

I'm trying to optimize the number of AGs, but as I reduce them, I bump into these SFM logs:

• High system resources consumption detected for datasources (hard limit). Rejecting configuration ef008f30-b5c2-33d1-ad87-9020f3c892a8
  • Failed to assign monitoring configuration to ActiveGate. Reason: High system resources consumption detected for datasources (soft limit)

Now, monitoring the dsfm metrics, I don't see high CPU usage, nor memory. JVM heap memory and CPU doesn't seem very different before/after changes...

How would I discover which resource is most being needed, so I can eventually give it more? CPU? Memory?

Antonio Sousa
6 REPLIES 6

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I forgot to say that the ActiveGates are already in "High limits" for their performance profile.

In the meantime, I also discovered this page,
https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/extend-dynatrace/extensions20/dedicated-performance-profile

that has a neat custom.properties example for disabling things that might not be needed.

I also can't go for "Dedicated limits" because I also need extensions v1...

Antonio Sousa

jegron
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Hi @AntonioSousa !

Interesting. Did you check AG limit ?
https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/extend-dynatrace/extensions20/extensions-concepts#limits

jegron_0-1686336807544.png

Observability Engineer at Phenisys - Dynatrace Professional

@jegron,

Thanks for pointing this out. I had already seen this when I had changed to "High limits", but had not associated it this time.

So the soft/hard limits should be the ones you point to, but now I'm trying to figure out what of the two, CPU or/and memory, are affecting me...

Antonio Sousa

I have also managed to reduce ActiveGate memory usage by inserting the following two lines in launcheruserconfig.conf

-java.xmx.absolute_part=2000
-java.xmx.relative_part=0

I got the idea from https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/extend-dynatrace/extensions20/dedicated-performance-profile

but I really had to put the two lines, because in my case Xmx would be around ~3500M if I only put the first one. Now it's -Xmx2000M 

Antonio Sousa

HI @AntonioSousa 

Did you get answer for this one from support?

We have see the same error message from Elasticsearch extension (1.0.7) running on OA   

Thanks for any input on what can be done ! 

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

@Yosi_Neuman,

I have not been working with OA EF2 extensions.

Regarding this AG context, I did not go through Support, as these type of tweaks are not easy to discuss.
I went for the "dedicated" performance profile, and tweaked the ActiveGate memory, as referenced above. Please note that when I refer to ActiveGate here, is to the main AG module, which typically does the routing. As mine AGs are only for extensions, I reduced the gateway memory, as it is not needed, thus giving more memory for EF2 extensions.

Antonio Sousa

Featured Posts