cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OneAgent filesystem monitoring in Linux hosts

brenidie
Newcomer

Can anyone share a link where can I customize filesystem monitoring in Dynatrace, if it is possible. Example for in Linux, I have /appl/* directory with multiple sub directory and I wanted to have this /appl/application_dir specific folder to be monitored. Will this be possible?

7 REPLIES 7

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

This is not possible at the moment, that I know of. You coukld eventually do it with a Dynatrace OneAgent extension.

Antonio Sousa

Thank you, Antonio. It clears out the question on my end.

fstekelenburg
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Nowadays this can be done through the (OneAgent) Filesystem monitoring extension.
See it in the Dynatrace Hub: Filesystem monitoring | Dynatrace Hub

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner

Is there a reason that the dtuser would require execute permission?

You octal know how the hex to read binary.

Hi @sknowlton 

If I'm not wrong the dtuser account created during Dynatrace OneAgent installation is intended for launching unprivileged processes within Dynatrace. It's specifically designed with limited capabilities and is not meant for general use or for executing operational commands.

Regarding the requirement for execute permissions, particularly for running commands like starting or stopping the OneAgent, these actions must be performed as the root user. This is a standard practice for services installed on Linux systems, as managing system services typically requires root privileges. Therefore, the dtuser does not require execute permission for these operations, and it's advised not to use dtuser for purposes other than what it's intended for by Dynatrace.

Radek

Have a nice day!

Hi Radek,

We are talking about the Filesystem monitoring OneAgent extension.

The only documented requirement is to give the Dynatrace account (dtuser) permission to access the folders being monitored.

Just providing read permission did not provide any metric data.  Providing execute permission makes this extension work nicely for the given folder.

Unfortunately, the user and group that own the folder are in IDM, whereas dtuser is a local account.  So, we can't add dtuser to the owner group.  We can't give execute permission to "everyone".

Why should the account require execute permission?

It seems that the execute permission is normal for directory listing and access to file metadata.

This should be included in the Filesystem Monitoring extension documentation.

Featured Posts