cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynatrace RUM Injection formats

shashank_87
Frequent Guest

Hello, I have been reading about this different RUM injection formats for manually injected applications.

The documentation around it is not really very useful - https://docs.dynatrace.com/docs/shortlink/rum-injection#manual-insertion 

I am specifically confused between Monitoring Code and Configuration Code which is mentioned here - https://docs.dynatrace.com/docs/shortlink/rum-injection#control-injection 

I believe the monitoring code is something which we get from Dynatrace when we select the injection format and then insert that script/code into our pages but then what is configuration code and how does it affect with multiple injection formats? For example lets say I use inlineCode as my preferred format, it says if I change anything in the UI, that code needs to be updated. What are those settings which I change will affect this? The document clearly doesn't say anything around it.

If someone has come across similar question, I'd highly appreciate if you guys can provide me with your valuable inputs.

Best Regards,
Shashank

3 REPLIES 3

RazTN7
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hello Shashank,
I am specifically confused between Monitoring Code and Configuration Code which is mentioned here

-> Its not configuration code. It is just configuration to control the RUM behavior available in Dynatrace UI.  

Monitoring Code: This include different type of manual code inject using the format.

1. JavaScript tag
  2. Code snippet
  3. Inline code
  4. Oneagent JavaScript tag

Configuration: Basically these are the settings which are available in Dynatrace UI to fine-tune the rules where we can manually tune it as per the requirement or best practices to follow (eg. enable/disable user session replay, naming/error rule, ..)

RameshN_0-1698989807445.png

Cheers!

RN

Have a nice day!

Thanks @RazTN7 for the response. So if I change a setting in the Capture section like lets say I add a XHR exclusion OR change the user action naming rule, does that affect the monitoring code and then we have to again download the code and manually update them in our application?

RazTN7
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

No need to redeploy.

Cheers!

RN

Have a nice day!

Featured Posts