Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Session Clicks vs Loads

Alfred-Le
Dynatrace Participant
Dynatrace Participant

Hello!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what exactly is the difference between the following two Useraction Names?

• click on 'LINK-LABEL' on LINK-DESINTATION
  • loading of page LINK-DESTINATION-MINUS-DOMAIN

Because looking at my own user sessions, sometimes I get one, and sometimes I get the other.
How does Dynatrace determine which Load actions are "Clicks" and otherwise?

Thanks!
Alfred

3 REPLIES 3

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi @Alfred-Le

Please check the explanation within documentation for Load action and XHR action

HTH

Yos

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

Alfred-Le
Dynatrace Participant
Dynatrace Participant

HI Yos,

I'm still a little bit lost.

The Load Action section mostly covers Timings and how Page Duration is defined.
The only info in this section regarding user action naming is the following:
  "If you type a URL in your browser and press Enter, a load action occurs"

This is good and all, but doesn't explain why my User Sessions sometimes say "click on ..." and sometimes "loading of page ..."

Under the Action name detection section, it mentions how DT tries to automatically apply meaningful names to their User Actions.
Does this mean my only work around to this is to define "data-dtname custom attributes" and force consistency?

For some additional context, my usecase is I'm trying to utilise funnels for my Client.
Specifically, they're interested in seeing how much their menu buttons are being utilised.
Hence, my thinking is that if I look at "click on ..." actions, it would be more representative of a user journey as opposed to "loading of page ..." actions (where users could arrive to pages via bookmarks/direct urls).
However, through testing this exclusively navigating their pages by Clicking, my User Sessions inconsistently show both User Action Names.

Hi Alfred.

You might want to check under your Application's settings --> Capturing --> User actions. That section controls how dynatrace names your Load and XHR actions. My guess is you probably have some actions that use the placeholder userinteraction (which would give you the "click on") and some that might not have it or are using something else.

I think Dynatrace does not use userinteraction by default so you might have a configuration in there that does not suit your use case.

Featured Posts